The NBA is also trying to figure out how to do business during the coronavirus pandemic. The NBA is trying to decide where to play their games. Some of the potential options have been Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida and also at the Vegas Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry thinks that the Eastern Conference will play in Orlando and the Western Conference will play in Las Vegas. It is possible that the NBA will go straight to the playoffs.
A New Look?
Speaking of the playoffs, should this be the season the NBA seeds 1-16 based on limited travel potentially?
I don’t think they are going to do it, but it is something to potentially consider. What would the matchups be?
(16) Orlando Magic (30-35) vs (1) Milwaukee Bucks (53-12, NBA’s best record): The Pick: Bucks in 4.
(9) Oklahoma City Thunder (40-24) vs (8) Miami Heat (41-21): The Pick: Heat in 6.
(12) Philadelphia 76ers (39-26) vs (5) Boston Celtics (43-21): The Pick: 76ers in 6.
(13) Dallas Mavericks (40-27) vs (4) Los Angeles Clippers (44-20): The Pick: Clippers in 6.
(15) Brooklyn Nets (30-34) vs (2) Los Angeles Lakers (49-14): The Pick: Lakers in 4.
(10) Houston Rockets (40-24) vs (7) Utah Jazz (41-23): The Pick: Jazz in 7.
(11) Indiana Pacers (39-26) vs (6) Denver Nuggets (43-22): The Pick: Nuggets in 5.
(14) Memphis Grizzlies (32-33) vs (3) Toronto Raptors (46-18): The Pick: Raptors in 5.
This would be a very interesting NBA playoff format to see besides the traditional 1-8 in each conference. This would be one of the few years where 1-16 features an even eight teams from each conference.
The three matchups in this postseason format that would actually be the same in the formal east and west format is Philadelphia vs. Boston, Dallas vs. Los Angeles Clippers, and Orlando vs. Milwaukee.
Everyone just wants basketball to come back in some way, shape, or form. Spencer Dinwiddie of the Brooklyn Nets has had rumors that games could potentially resume July 15. That is still a little while away, but it is what it is for right now.
The NBA playoffs are the heart and soul of this season and it will be interesting to see what happens.
Where we should be…
We should be in the NBA’s Western Conference Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals right now if it wasn’t for COVID-19. The NBA Finals would have started next Thursday (May 28). That could have been potentially Lebron James’s quest for a fourth ring, Kawhi Leonard’s quest for a third ring, Giannis Antetokounmpo’s quest for a first ring, or Nick Nurse and the Toronto Raptors quest for back-to-back titles.
We are going to have to play the waiting game on that for now. It appears as if there will be a season, but some players question the safety and playing conditions nonetheless. The next two to four weeks will decide everything and we will have a decision by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver regarding the NBA season that paused on March 11.
What do you guys think of a 1-16 playoff format in the NBA? Leave a comment below.
Stay up to date with all of your NBA coverage on IroniqMedia.
Follow Glenn Kaplan on Twitter @glennkaplan13.