2018 FIFA WORLD CUP: Group E Previews and Predictions
Group E features Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, and Serbia clearly the favorites to advance and win the group. Brazil will look to rebound after getting stomped 7-1 by Germany on their home turf. Switzerland only lost one match in qualification and that was to Portugal in which Cristiano Ronaldo’s side qualified for the World Cup during that much. Costa Rica looks to build off their last appearance in which they shocked the world by advancing out of the group they were in. Serbia is looking to advance out of the group stage for the first time since 1998.[ESPOAds]
- The fans of Brazil are hoping Neymar can stay healthy the whole tournament this time around.
- Brazil has hoisted the Cup 5 times most of any country but have not had their hands on the trophy since 2002.
- Brazil scored 41 goals during qualification and will definitely be one of the more entertaining teams to watch in Russia.
- They will have a balanced attack as 14 different players scored during qualification and they will likely continue that in the group stage.
- Switzerland has not been back to the quarterfinals since 1954 when they hosted the tournament.
- The Swiss have a lot of talent on their roster including Stephen Lichtsteiner, Yann Sommer, and Xherdan Shaqiri. Shaqiri is too good for Stoke City and will probably relocate after they are relegated and he will be using the World Cup to show off his talent.
- Costa Rica
- For the third time, Costa Rica is drawn into the same group as Brazil.
- No one will be expecting Costa Rica to advance out of the group, just like 4 years ago when they advanced out of the group.
- Keylor Navas of Real Madrid had one of his best seasons and was key in Real Madrid’s success.
- Serbia is a fairly defensive side and they have a ton of talent in the back.
- Their fullback options are strong but are old and may have a problem keeping up the pace with the wingers.
- Nemanja Matic is a very talented and versatile player, he is good on kicking from a distance which is good for Serbia if they are struggling in breaking down the opposing defenses.
Favorite to win the Group – Brazil: is there any more of a solid lock for advancing out of a group?
Favorite to advance – Switzerland: This is a good team and can also be a sneaky team. Don’t think they will contend with Brazil to win the group but should advance.
Least Like to advance – Serbia– This is just too much of a firepower group for them to compete.
Dark Horse – Costa Rica – Once again many do not expect Costa Rica to do much in this group. However, once again it wouldn’t surprise me if they advanced out of the group.
What are your feelings of the 2018 World Cup Group E? Leave a comment below.