2018 World Cup: Who will advance out of Group C
This is an interesting group because of the teams who are in it. You have one of the proverbial favorites to win it all in France. The ever stingy Australians with Tim Cahill who sounds like he might be 50 but is again leading the team in goals scored. Peru a nation which has not qualified for the World Cup since 1982 will be front and center with a majority of MLS stars. And last but not least Denmark their 5th overall World Cup appearance but first since a group Stage exit in 2010.[ESPOAds]
- Have one of the best squads in International play, with attacking options that would be used for any team in the world.
- Despite losing at home in the Euro 2016 which was very disappointing for the Blues they are one of the favorites and should advance from the group rather comfortably.
- The biggest concern/weakness for the French team would be Tottenham goalie Hugo Lloris as he is prone to making big errors.
- The Socceroos struggled in the 2014 World Cup losing all 3 of their matches and getting knocked out in the group stage.
- This team has a lot of their players who are playing in the Premier League i.e Aaron Mooy and Matthew Ryan (no not Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan)
- This Team looks poised to become the first Australia side to qualify for the Knockout Stage since the 2006 squad which Tim Cahill was a part of.
- Peru Qualified by winning a Play-off game against New Zealand which followed a controversial 1-1 draw with Columbia which both teams knew going into the game that it would qualify Columbia and send Peru to the tie-breaker.
- Orlando City’s Yoshimar Yotun has 70 caps for his country and Yordy Reyna of the Vancouver Whitecaps has broken into the national side as well.
- Andre Carrillo of Benefica and currently on loan at Watford is a dangerous player for Peru in the final third due to his agility and pace.
- Knocked the Republic of Ireland out of the World Cup in their playoff match with them.
- Tottenham Mid-Fielder Chrisitan Eriksen was the most crucial player to this Denmark side as he scored 8 goals in the 10 qualifying matches.
- Denmark has never progressed past the Quarterfinals of a World Cup and look to be runner-up in this group over Australia.
Favorite to win the Group – France: When you have this much talent and are as deep as they are it would be a big disappointment for them to not win the group
Favorite to advance – Australia: This may be the year that they can get back to the Knockout round.
Least Like to advance – Peru: Sorry guys just too much stacked against you and too much would have to happen for you to advance.
Dark Horse – Denmark – It would not surprise me if they were to qualify over Australia for the 2nd spot but will take them beating them in their head to head matchup.[EspoTwitter]