2018 Kentucky Oaks: Preview and Predictions of the 14 Horse Field
If you do not follow Horse Racing you may be wondering if you read that title right? What is the Kentucky Oaks exactly and isn’t that supposed to say, Kentucky Derby? Well you are partially correct it is the Kentucky Derby weekend and that is the star of the show. But just like in real life it’s always ladies first and they will be front and center on Friday running for the Kentucky Oaks. The race is restricted to 3-year-old fillies going a mile and an eighth. In this article, I will go over each horse briefly and give you my picks for the race.[ESPOAds]
- Sassy Sienna – 15-1 Morning Line – In her last race the Fantasy Stakes a grade 3 race at Oaklawn Park she was a winner by a nose which was her first stakes win in 5 tries. The good news for this horse? One start at Churchill Downs and 1-second place finish there. Looking elsewhere
- Coach Rocks – 12-1 Morning Line – This horse will definitely be a crowd favorite as her part owner is former Louisville Head Coach Rick Pitino. She enters this race on back to back victories including breaking her maiden on her 7th attempt. She won the Gulfstream Park Oaks by 1 and a half-length. The horse has not run at Churchill before and will be tested against this bunch. Has 8-lifetime races and has been either 1st 2nd or 3rd 6 times, like her in exotics.
- Classy Act – 15-1 Morning Line – After winning two races in a row under Brian Hernandez Jr the Trainer made a switch to Javier Castellano and the horse finished 2nd and 4th in the Rachel Alexandra Stakes and the Fair Grounds Oaks. Besides that 4th place finish, she had one other clunker where she finished 7th but this horse has the potential to be in the money. I will not be using her but wouldn’t shock if she showed up on the board.
- Chocolate Martini – 12-1 Morning Line – If nothing else this horse will be bet for its name I mean who doesn’t like a chocolate martini? Broke her maiden and has won 3 of her last 4 races, I will be on this horse for a shocking upset.
- Wonder Gadot – 20-1 Morning Line – Wonder Woman fans will be backing this horse which is a combo of Wonder Woman and the actress who played Wonder Woman Gal Gadot. She has 2 stakes wins to her name but has not faced a group this tough before. Tough to like her in this spot.
- Kelly’s Humor – 30-1 Morning Line – This horse’s last win was Aug 20th of last year this horse will be way overmatched and should not factor into the race at all.
- Rayya – 12-1 Morning Line – She has been a silent horse because she has done all of her racing at Meydan in the UAE in those 5-lifetime races she has won twice and finished 2nd 3 times. Definitely, the wild-card in this race and could go on to win the Kentucky Oaks. [ESPOAds]
- Heavenhasmynikki – 50-1 Morning Line – Well what can I say, the only good thing about this horse is that she has one of the best riders on board when it comes to riding the rail. She has Calvin Borel aboard who has been known to shock by riding the rails in big races at Churchill. Highly unlikely but anything is possible.
- Take Charge Paula – 15-1 Morning Line – If my Aunt Paula is watching this race or her sister Carol (my grandmother) I know they would definitely be rooting for this horse to win. Her last 6 races have been 3 wins and 3 2nd place finishes including 3 wins in a row. She is going to break for the lead and Jose Ortiz will do his best to make sure she can hold on for the win.
- Midnight Bisou – 5-2 Morning Line – One of the early favorites to win the Oaks and it’s quite easy to see why. Her first 2 races were 2nd place by a nose and then she broke her maiden in a Grade 2 Stakes race and enters this race on a 3 race winning streak. One to watch for sure.
- My Miss Lily – 10-1 Morning Line – Jersey Joe Bravo gets this mount and will be looking to score an upset over Midnight Bisou and Monomoy Girl, if she does the backers of this horse will be looking at a pretty decent payout.
- Patrona Margarita – 30-1 Morning Line – Another favorite of some fans because it is almost like a hybrid of something from Harry Potter and a drink. Other than that though I can’t see a scenario where this horse can win.
- Eskimo Kisses – 15-1 Morning Line – Another one of the horses who could hit the board as she has only missed the board in one of her 7-lifetime races. Tough gate to break from with Monomoy Girl to her outside who will be looking to get to the lead.
- Monomoy Girl – 2-1 Morning Line – She has won her 5 races by a combined 17 lengths and the one race she lost, it was by a neck. She will be the horse to beat and if she gets to the lead you can almost forget about it. Top Choice.