WWE Royal Rumble: Five Possible Guys to take the US Open Challenge
It was announced recently through the WWE website that they will have a two-hour pre-show for the Royal Rumble. In addition, to having a celebrity-filled panel, they announced three matches. We will see a rematch from RAW 25th when the Revival will take on Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows. In addition, we will get a six-man tag match for the cruiserweight division with TJP teaming with Drew Gulak and Jack Gallagher and they will take on the team of Kalisto, Gran Metalik, and Lince Dorado. Finally, the last one will be when Bobby Roode will put his US title on the line in the US Title Open Challenge.
It is worth noting that John Cena was the one who made the US Open Challenge a thing after he defeated Rusev at WrestleMania 30. Here are five guys who I see could answer the challenge on Sunday at the Royal Rumble pre-show.
1. Tye Dillinger – We have not seen him on TV for some time. This could be something simple as the WWE creative not having anything for him. I would love for him to return and turn heel. There have been reports coming out that on house shows, he has tested out a heel gimmick. It may be what is needed for his career. You can look at guys like Neville and the Usos who turned heel and it helped their career.
2. Jinder Mahal – He lost to Bobby Roode in the finals of the US Title tournament. I could see this happening as Mahal needs a title. I see bigger plans for Bobby Roode down the road. If Mahal doesn’t have a title, then it won’t do well for this career. However, it is worth noting that while he was the WWE champion, it was one of the worst runs in the title history. While it was one of the worst ones, it made him relevant.
3. Dolph Ziggler – This one is interesting. We haven’t seen Dolph on TV since he relinquished the US title on Smackdown. We haven’t heard anything about him being released from the company, so why not have him return with his belt. He can claim that he never lost the title and we could have something similar to when Punk and Cena feuded a few years back.
4. No Way Jose – This one may shock people. However, it seems that they are not doing anything with him on NXT. It has been rumored that he will be getting called up to the main roster soon. Why not have it for a title match. This would not be the first time that an NXT star answered the open challenge. Sami Zayn answered it when he was still in NXT. What would be the harm in calling him up soon?
5. Mojo Rawley – When they broke up the Hype Bros, it seemed that the WWE had major plans for Mojo that he would hey a major mid card push. He was in the tournament and lost to Bobby Roode. He is a talented enough star that the WWE would be foolish not to do something with him.
Who would you like to see answer the challenge? Let us know in the comments below. Tune in to the Royal Rumble Sunday night as the Road to WrestleMania 34 begins in the City of Brotherly Love.Follow @jon_blayne