Frisco RoughRiders: Bats And Arms Secure Win For Riders
The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, took a 4-1 victory over the San Antonio Missions Friday night. Tyler Davis had a solid pitching performance over his six innings, and Eric Aguilera launched a home run that gave the RoughRiders the edge they needed. Frisco now sits at 46-59 on the season.
Aguilera came up big in the seventh inning. With the RoughRiders trailing 1-0, he hit a massive three-run homer that put the club ahead and ahead for good. Michael O’Neill added the final run in the ninth. His RBI single was insurance for Frisco.
Aguilera would finish the night 2-3, with a walk and a double to accompany his home run. O’Neill went 1-4, with his insurance single accounting for his one RBI. Royce Bolinger, who had his own big bomb in Thursday’s outing, went 1-3 with a double and a walk.
Tyler Davis had the Missions in check through his performance. He earned his second win in Double-A ball with a quality start. He threw for six innings, allowing four hits and giving up just one run (earned). He walked three and punched out two along the way. Brady Feigl relieved Davis. He tossed the seventh inning and saw two batters in the eighth. He allowed one hit and no runs, walking one and striking out one. Nick Gardewine came in for the save and earned it. He tossed two innings, allowing no hits and no runs. He walked one and punched out one in his outing.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- With his go-ahead home run Friday, Eric Aguilera has three game-winning home runs this month. He hit a walk-off home run July 1 against Tulsa and delivered a go-ahead solo home run in Frisco’s 1-0 win over San Antonio on July 21.
- Eric Aguilera has hit seven of his team-leading 12 homers in July, hitting .300 (21-70).
- Tyler Davis earned his fifth quality start in six outings with the Riders. Since Davis joined the team on July 2, Davis has nearly as many quality starts as the other four starters combined (6).
- Michael O’Neill extended his hitting streak to seven games with his RBI single in the ninth. Through his first 46 games with the Riders, O’Neill already has three seven-game hitting streaks.
- The Riders have won five of the past six games against first-place San Antonio and have moved within five games of the Missions in the second-half standings.
The Frisco RoughRiders will continue their four-game set against the San Antonio Missions Saturday night. Game three is set to start at 7:05 PM. Frisco will start rising star RHP Collin Wiles (7-8, 4.27 ERA). San Antonio is scheduled to start Chris Huffman (4-3, 3.27 ERA).
You can watch the action via MiLB.tv, or listen to the broadcast at RidersBaseball.com.
Follow Blake Cole on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more on the Frisco RoughRiders, and other MiLB Texas League Double-A teams and players.
*Featured image courtesy of the Frisco RoughRiders.