MiLB: Double-A Texas League All-Star Game Review
The Texas League All-Star game was hosted by the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, on Tuesday night. Players from various Double-A teams were in attendance, representing eight Major League Baseball teams.
The Northern Division is home to the Tulsa Drillers (LAD), Northwest Arkansas Naturals (KC), Springfield Cardinals (STL), and the Arkansas Travelers (SEA). In the Southern Division, there are the Corpus Christi Hooks (HOU), San Antonio Missions (SD), Midland RockHounds (OAK), and the Frisco RoughRiders (TEX).
The All-Star game was comprised of fifty of the best baseball players across these eight organizations. The players gathered together in Frisco, Texas to represent their division in the matchup.
B.J. Boyd of the Midland RockHounds took home the All-Star MVP award, by a seeming landslide decision.
You can read about the Frisco RoughRiders and the All-Star game by clicking here.
For more details on what the Texas League All-Star event entailed, click here.
When it was all said and done, the Southern Division took the win. The North fell 10-3, in a game that featured amazing talent and future Major League Baseball players. The hosting club, the Frisco RoughRiders, provided a wonderful venue for the League.
Key South Division Performers:
- B.J. Boyd (MID): 3-4, double, three RBIs, two runs (All-Star Game MVP)
- Garrett Stubbs (CC): 1-2, triple, three RBIs, two runs, HBP
- J.D. Davis (CC): 2-3, double, two RBIs, run
- Drew Ferguson (CC): 2-3, two walks, run
- Eric Yardley (SA): 1 IP, 0 H, 3 K
Key North Division Performers:
- Chuck Taylor (ARK): 1-4, home run, two RBIs, run
- Edwin Rios (TUL): 1-3, home run, RBI, run
News and notes from the game:
- The South’s 10 runs accounted for the most runs by one team in a Texas League All-Star Game since 2000 when the Texas League defeated the Mexican League 12-2 in El Paso.
- The South’s seven-run fourth inning was also the most since the 2000 All-Star Game when the Texas League put up eight runs in the sixth inning.
- Tuesday marked the third time that the Frisco RoughRiders have hosted the Texas League All-Star Game. Tuesday’s crowd of 10,317 marked the third time in as many events that the Riders have welcomed more than 10,000 fans for the league’s mid-summer showcase.
Here are some pictures from the All-Star game, courtesy of The Inscriber: