Frisco RoughRiders: Hooks Walk-Off Riders In 11 Innings
The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, drop the series opener to the Corpus Christi Hooks 6-5 in extra inThe Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, drop the series opener to the Corpus Christi Hooks 6-5 in extra innings, Thursday night.
The matchup went 11 frames, and the RoughRiders took the loss on a walk-off sacrifice fly. The starters for both teams couldn’t make it through six innings, as the clubs’ offense found a solid rhythm during the game.
Jon Singleton was responsible for the scoring the winning run. His sac fly gave the Houston Astros affiliate the win, after over three and a half hours of play. For the RoughRiders, Luke Tendler went 3-5 during the matchup. He hit two doubles, with one RBI. Scott Heineman finished 3-6, with a double and one RBI. Michael DeLeon managed to hit just 1-5, but his single put the RoughRiders ahead in the eighth inning.
The RoughRiders went through five pitchers in Thursday’s extended matchup, including outfielder Royce Bolinger. Combined, all pitchers gave up 11 hits and six runs (four earned). They managed four strikeouts and walked eight batters.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- Riders outfielder Royce Bolinger pitched the 11th inning, his first-career appearance on the mound as a professional.
- 13 of Luke Tendler’s last 25 hits have been for extra bases (six doubles, one triple, six home runs).
- Scott Heineman has reached safely in 17 of his last 24 plate appearances.
- With two more errors Thursday, Corpus Christi has committed 24 miscues in 17 games against the Riders, leading to 18 unearned runs.
- Riders starter Ariel Jurado surrendered a career-high-tying five walks in his 5 2/3 innings.
The RoughRiders will face off against the Hooks again on Friday. The first pitch is set for 7:05 PM CT, from Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi, Texas. The Hooks will send Rogelio Armenteros (2-2, 1.64 ERA) to the hill. He will battle against Pedro Payano (0-1, 2.29 ERA).
You can watch the game via MiLB.tv, or listen to the broadcast at RidersBaseball.com.
Follow Blake Cole, Senior Writer for The Inscriber, on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more news and updates on the Frisco RoughRiders, Texas Rangers, and more.
*Featured image courtesy of RidersBaseball.com.